Another week, another beta build! Below are some highlighted changes, complete list at the bottom.
We eliminated the unclear and clunky “boost meter” HUD and replaced it with a kick-ass power-pack on the player’s back. Drawing influence from Isaac’s quintessential diegetic UI in the Dead Space franchise, our pack gets brighter as the player collects more and sees a nice bloom effect once it’s nearing full charge. The bloom is even brighter at full charge.
For reference, here’s the old boost meter HUD (lower left):
Visual effect for non-lethal maze walls
As players are still learning basic movement in Mazes 0 and 1 they cannot die, but this wasn’t communicated visually before.
Player Gooped and New Saw Model
Some beta testers thought the Goop could hurt the player, so we added a simple visual effect to convey the slowing “gooped” effect.
Minor Maze 0 Redesign
Thanks to some good feedback from /u/whatevermansure we made a series of tweaks to the design of the first maze and it’s tutorial UI elements.
- New Maze 0 level design
- New input scheme and tutorial for midair movement
- Added a visual effect for non-lethal walls
- Player now turns green when slowed by Goop
- New Saw obstacle model
- Removed the “boost meter” from HUD, replaced with a backpack diegetic UI
- Added a flyby warning when walls become lethal
- Shadow underneath player is now a fixed 90 degrees
- Updated main menu
- Removed the dumb menu button movement animation
- Over a dozen bugfixes, most notably a possible fix for Galaxy S6 lag issues